German Red Cabbage and Pork Ribs
Delicious to the palate and pleasing to the eye, this colorful dish featuring Indiana Kitchen bacon and pork ribs is slow cooked deliciousness!
- 4 slices Indiana Kitchen bacon chopped
- 6 (2 lbs) Indiana Kitchen Ribs
- 1.5 teasoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 6 cups (about 1/2 head) red cabbage thinly sliced
- 2 (about 3 cups) Granny Smith apples peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 (about 1/2 cup) medium onion finely chopped
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup apple juice
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- In 12-inch skillet, cook bacon over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until crisp. Remove bacon from skillet to large bowl; reserve drippings in skillet.
- Sprinkle both sides of ribs with salt and pepper; cook in drippings until browned.
- Meanwhile, stir cabbage, apples and onion into bacon in bowl.
- Spray 4- to 5-quart slow cooker with cooking spray. Place ribs in cooker, reserving drippings in skillet.
- Spoon cabbage mixture over ribs.
- Stir vinegar, apple juice and sugar into drippings in skillet; heat to boiling. Pour over ribs and cabbage mixture.
- Cover; cook on Low heat setting 5 to 6 hours. To serve, use slotted spoon to remove cabbage mixture and ribs from cooker and serve.