Apple Cinnamon Pancake Cupcakes
For the muffin
- 1 large apple
- 2 cups Bisquick baking mix
- 2 tbsp real maple syrup
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
For the topping
- 4 slices Indiana Kitchen thick-cut bacon
- 3 egg whites
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 2 sticks unsalted butter softened
For the muffins
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. and spray the cups of a muffin pan with baking spray.
- Peel and core apple, then chop into bite-size pieces.
- In a bowl, toss apple slices with maple syrup, lemon and cinnamon.
- In another bowl, whisk Bisquick, eggs, milk and vanilla until thoroughly mixed.
- Evenly separate apples into the bottom of each muffin cup
- Pour the batter on top of the apples, filling the cups almost to the top.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes, or until the pancakes are set.
- Allow to cool.
For the topping
- Slice bacon into very tiny pieces—almost as small as bacon bits.
- Place in a skillet on low heat until crisp. Drain on paper towels.
- Place a medium pot of water on the stove and bring it to simmer. Keep on medium-low heat.
- In a large bowl, preferably glass, combine the egg whites, sugar and maple syrup with a whisk.
- Place the glass bowl over the pot of simmering water. Stir frequently for about 10 minutes, or until the sugars have completely dissolved.
- Remove the bowl from the heat and whip on high speed until the mixture is completely cool.
- Once cooled, add in butter one tablespoon at a time, whipping at high speed.
- Pipe the topping onto the cupcakes and garnish with bacon!
For the topping, look for a glass mixing bowl that has a slightly larger circumference than the pot with boiling water.
Also, make sure there is no warmth at all in the topping before the butter is added.